We continue to research the current market for test automation tools. Today we propose to your attention our professional opinion on the growing popularity of codeless testing tools, their actual benefits, drawbacks, suitable areas of use, as well as our compilation of the 14 best codeless test automation tools. Here we go!
What is Codeless Testing?
Codeless testing is an automated type of testing where the tester needs no coding to run the test scripts. Recently, when on the market of testing, were not so many automation tools available, codeless and low-code testing ("record and playback" testing, the one that records the user activity and then imitates it) were used interchangeably. But in 2022, you can find numerous automated testing tools that can offer you true codeless testing as it is. Before we dive into details, let’s see what actual benefits codeless testing tools can bring to your CI/CD process, and what are their common drawbacks.
Top Benefits and Main Drawbacks of Codeless Testing Tools
Codeless testing tools, if compared with manual testing, can bring into your CI/CD process a bunch of important optimizations, save your development resources, and streamline the product delivery thanks to the following benefits:
- Even junior QAs can run scripts: In codeless testing, the QA engineer doesn’t have to possess the knowledge of coding or programming languages to run the scripts. This bonus can greatly economize both engineer’s and company’s time and resources needed for the education of the newcomers in QA;
- Everybody can review: In codeless testing, cases are created with no coding involved, so they are readable and understandable even for people who don’t know how to code but have important roles at the project;
- Boosted performance: As here’s no additional knowledge required to run the tests and the syntax is straightforward, test cases are created quickly, boosting the overall efficiency of the automation process;
- Better resources allocation: With codeless testing, engineers can save plenty of working hours and spend them on some more creative and complex projects testing tasks, then running endless regression tests hour by hour.
But just like every coin has its reverse side, codeless testing tools can also possess some of the drawbacks enlisted below:
- Customization is difficult: Here everything is accomplished in the background through automated design. Thus, testers have almost no room for modifying the scripts, and have to rely on automation tools completely;
- Still need some coding: Although the scripts are running here automatically, there still might be some testing scenarios that need manual coding and skills to frame basic scripts;
- Security concerns: Most of the codeless testing tools can be reached only through the internet, thus, getting your products tested means that the developer needs to share files using a common IP address. This peculiarity of codeless testing tools can be a stumbling block for some insurance, financial, governmental, and other organizations.
But this is the big picture, and what about the pros and cons of certain codeless testing tools? How can I choose the one in the codeless testing market that fits my testing needs best? Let’s look at the top 14 codeless automation testing tools in the next paragraph.
What is Codeless Testing Tools Top List
What’s especially interesting about codeless testing technology, is that each tool can have its own way of implementing codeless on the Frontend side. What’s common here, is that the tool should convert the frontend representation into machine understandable code in the backend to make everything work properly. Let’s see the popular scriptless automation tools one by one along with their features and pricing details:
DogQ is a codeless test automation tool that makes the web app testing process much easier and quicker. It enables you to build automated testing scripts without a single line of code at the release candidate stage, and check the app performance in the given environment before the final release. (By the way, here’s a ready-made checklist to measure your website’s performance). DogQ platform helps to eliminate manual testing routines, increasing the speed and quality of the software development processes.
CloudQA unites a variety of testing requirements on one platform. Built on top of Selenium, this record-and-playback tool integrates with multiple third-party apps, making building test cases easier. It also provides you with an integrated reporting feature to create and schedule regression test cases, as well as monitor web page performance.
3. Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio is one of the best and most widely used codeless testing tools for web, API, mobile, and desktop apps. It has built-in keywords, dual-scripting interfaces, and a variety of external libraries, turning testing into an easy task even for beginners.
TestGrid is a freshman on the market of codeless automation tools, but it has already gained popularity among testers and developers due to its high speed of running tests. It is one of the best tools for running scriptless cross-browser, native mobile, desktop apps, performance, as well as API testing scenarios from scratch.
Perfecto is a trusted name among codeless automation testing tools. It provides solutions for mobile, web, and IoT quality assurance, focusing on providing its stable work despite any market changes, such as new iOS or Android version updates, new browser or smartphone releases, etc.
It’s one of the totally free codeless automation testing tools. It’s an end-to-end codeless testing platform that automates Selenium and Appium testing and allows you to run web, mobile, and even API testing scripts using open source technology.
TestingWhiz is a codeless automation testing tool that can provide functional, regression, API, and database testing of your software, web, and mobile apps. It quickly automates, executes, and manages various test cases on one platform.
Endtest is one of the cloud codeless automation testing tools. It’s a cutting-edge cloud platform that allows its users to create, manage, and run even complex test scenarios with ease.
Mabl is a modern codeless testing automation platform for the CI/CD ecosystem that enables easier test creation, execution, and control. It can greatly increase test coverage, development speed, and overall app quality. Thanks to its cool visuals, anomaly monitoring, and auto-healing concepts, the automation scripts here run very smoothly and fast.
Applitools is an end-to-end UI testing platform powered by Visual AI, that transforms and modernizes the whole QA process. This highly scalable and user-friendly codeless test automation tool is suitable for web and mobile app testing across many devices, browsers, and OS. Plus, it can be quickly integrated with any DevOps environment.
Usetrace is an automation tool for regression testing of web apps. It creates cross-browser reusable test suits with no coding skills needed. This testing tool also provides such features as project management and collaboration, data analytics, synchronization, and waiting.
Leapwork is a cloud-based automation platform for testers, test managers, and DevOps professionals, suitable for testing web, Windows, SAP applications, and more. Leapwork is one of the most trusted codeless test automation tools, that combines in one platform testing automation, end-to-end test verification, graphical workflow editor, and automated test builder.
Ranorex is a robust testing tool that supports web, Windows, and mobile testing. It is among the most trusted codeless automation testing tools, used by such giants as Cisco, Dell, IBM, etc. Has numerous third-party integrations allowing to create of an all-in-one testing environment with no coding.
14. TestCraft (Acquired by Perforce)
TestCraft is an end-to-end codeless automation testing tool based on Selenium. It offers QA engineers "on-the-fly rebinding", with which you can fix the broken code immediately, rebinding the elements. Here tests are adjusted in real-time without re-recording the entire test scenario.
DogQ Perspective on Codeless Test Automation
Codeless testing automation platforms continue to capture the market for QA professional tools. Year by year software vendors provide their solutions with more and more effective algorithms, better design, and a bigger number of useful features to increase testers' productivity, minimize daily routine tasks, and raise employee retention rate. Some codeless automation testing tools are free, and some are quite expensive, but they are definitely one of the core puzzles in the future of software testing. Each of the applications enumerated above has its pros and cons, so it’s better to consult with a reliable testing software company to choose the one that really fits your needs. But please remember that any automation tool can never work without the right team culture and effective execution strategy upon codeless testing. DogQ specialists recommend the following approach for implementing a codeless testing tool to reach the best possible result:
- Think globally about the testing process, that is more than just apps or platforms under test, but rather an effective QA strategy of the whole team;
- Implement "shift-left" and "all-inclusive" testing culture, in which every person is equally involved in the testing process and responsible for it;
- Analyze the tendencies of the testing market and be ready to let go of old and ineffective methods, tools, and processes;
- Be flexible about new technologies and tools and always ready to adopt them.
Our QA specialists are always ready to answer your questions upon software testing strategies. We will be happy to help you with choosing the right testing automation tool for your business or software project, as well as provide any additional technical support you need. Feel free to contact us and try our codeless testing platform!